FPS staff report
April 30, 2013
The Brown Local Board of Education has given the School Superintendent and Treasurer permission to negotiate the purchase of land for a new school in hopes that a bond issue and tax levy are approved at the May 7 special election.
At the Board’s April 15 meeting, School Supt. Connie Griffin and Treasurer Julie A. Erwin were granted permission to negotiate a contract for the purchase of 16 acres owned by Kopp Clay along E. Porter St.
Residents of the Brown Local School District are being asked to approve a $17,152,577 bond issue and an additional 0.5-mill tax levy for construction and maintenance of new schools at the May 7 special election.
In case the proposal fails, the Board voted to place the same bond issue and tax levy back on the ballot for the August 2013 election if needed.
In other business, the Board:
- ACCEPTED the resignation of Denise Townsend, athletic director effective May 30;
- APPROVED tuition reimbursement applications for Tami Warner, Tiffany Fletcher and Jenna Wagner;
- APPROVED a Family Medical Leave for childcare for Matthew Chiurco, a high school teacher, effective approximately April 29 through May 6;
- APPROVED a Family Medical Leave for childcare for Nicole Shadle, an intervention specialist at the middle school from approximately Aug. 19 until Sept. 27;
- RENEWED contracts of Cory Wackerly (continuing) and Matt Morena (2-year), both classified staff, for the 2013-14 school year;
- RENEWED contracts for the following certified staff for the 2013-14 school year: Todd Shadle, Erin Landis, Jenna Wagner, Matt Chiurco, Tiffany Fletcher, Nicole Shadle, Karli Townsend, Jeneva Ford and Jessica Moushey, all 1 year; Rhonda Zeedrich, Carrie Bengtson, Tami Warner and Barbara Rossetti, all 2 year; Rebecca Carter, Jessica Boylan and Dori Hess, all continuing;
- RENEWED the contract of Rod Wise as the Transportation Supervisor at a salary of $15,433;
- ENTERED into a contract with Carroll Hills Industries for lawn care services for the 2013 mowing season at a cost of $80 per week for each week service is provided;
- APPROVED a supplemental contract for Matt Wackerly for the 2012-13 school year as assistant baseball coach;
- ACCEPTED the resignation of Corey Wackerly as assistant baseball coach;
- AUTHORIZED the publication of a public notice that Jane Swinderman, currently employed as Middle School/High School principal, will be retired and is seeking re-employment with Brown Local School District in the same position following her service retirement. The Board will hold a public meeting at 6:30 p.m. May 20 in the Bennett Memorial library at the high school on the issue of re-employing Mrs. Swinderman;
- APPROVED the following appropriation amendments: $8,000 increase in the Permanent Improvement fund, $263 increase in the Middle School principal’s fund, $552 increase in the High School Student Activities Fund and a $550 increase in the Spanish Honor Society fund;
- APPROVED the following budget increases for the 2012-13 school year: $200 increase in Middle School principal’s fund; $652 increase in the High School Student Activities fund, $300 increase in the volleyball fund and a $500 increase in the Spanish Honor Society fund;
- HEARD a report from Megan Brady, Spanish teacher, on a recent student trip to Costa Rica;
- SET the next regular meeting for May 20 at 7 p.m.