FPS staff report
January 22, 2013
David Collier has been elected president of the Sandy Valley Local Board of Education.
Collier was elected to succeed Dennis Corsi at the board’s annual organizational meeting held Jan. 14 when Scot Bowman was elected the Board’s vice president. Other members are Lynne Herstine and Joe Wigfield.
Regular meetings were set for the third Monday of each month except January, February and June in the Board of Education meeting room and retained compensation for Board members at $125 per meeting.
The Board also authorized the treasurer and superintendent to perform certain duties and responsibilities under Ohio law.
During the Board’s regular meeting, members:
- ISSUED a limited contract for the 2012-13 school year to Brenda Hester as a 4.5-hour aide currently assigned to the transportation department;
- APPROVED Scott Coleman as a classified substitute;
- ISSUED supplemental contracts for the current school year to Kristen Woods and Carrie Faigley as Destination Imagination coordinator and coach, respectively;
- ACCEPTED the resignation of Cheryl Wilhelm as a bus driver for the 2012-13 school year;
- ACCEPTED the resignations of Dennis Albaugh and Paul Miner as bus drivers for the 2013-14 school year;
- APPROVED the required by law deletion of Declaration of Material Assistance/Non Assistance to Terrorist Organization from the board policy;
- APPROVED attendance of Rachael Berger of Canton Local and Haley Miller and Zachary Miller of Tuscarawas Valley to attend Sandy Valley schools for the 2012-13 school year under the open enrollment program;
- APPROVED the attendance of Clayton Poteet as a student of a working parent for the 2012-13 school year;
- APPROVED student fundraisers for the Sandy Valley High School basketball clinic and a T shirt sale by the freshman class;
- ACCEPTED the amounts and rates as determined by the Stark County Budget Commission;
- APPROVED the tax budget for fiscal year 2014 beginning July 1, 2013, showing total expenditures of $6,921,005;
- HELD an executive session to discuss details relative to the security arrangements and emergency response protocols for the board of education;
- HEARD Treasurer Darryl Woolf inform the Board the school district will receive $31,124.29 in casino revenue and discussed the $2,100,000 in par amount of bonds remaining to refund in 2013, expected to be completed in approximately two months;
- RECEIVED recognition from Supt. David Janofa for their sacrifice, dedication and commitment to the success of Sandy Valley students and the entire education community in observance of January as School Board Recognition Month across the state;
- SET the next regular meeting for Feb. 11 at 6 p.m. in the administration building.