FPS staff report
January 14, 2013
Michael (Mike) Abraham has been elected president of the Southern Local Board of Education, succeeding Andrew Frischkorn.
During the Board’s Jan. 8 organizational meeting, William (Bill) Pitts was elected vice president and regular meetings of the Board for 2013 were set for the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at Southern Local High School. The two other Board members are Linda Morris and John Sawyer.
Compensation for Board members was raised from $60 to $80 per meeting for a maximum of 12 meetings per year.
Linda Morris was elected as the Board’s representative on the All-County Board of Education and Columbiana County Career Technical Center representative for 2013 and Sawyer and Frischkorn were elected to serve as the Board’s Legislative liaison and Student Achievement liaison, respectively.
The following were appointed to Board Committees for 2013:
Finance – John Sawyer, chairman; Andrew Frischkorn, co-chair.
Personnel/Negotiations – Bill Pitts, chair; Mike Abraham, co-chair.
Maintenance/Transportation – Sawyer, chair; Pitts, co-chair.
Curriculum/Policy – Linda Morris, chair; Frischkorn, co-chair.
Athletics/Activities – Pitts, chair; Abraham, co-chair.
Under a consensus agenda, the Board approved ten items, including a service fund of $5,000 and authorized the Board Treasurer Doreen Marshall and School Supt. John Wilson to perform certain duties and responsibilities.
During the Board’s regular meeting, members voted to establish an Anti-Bullying Club for students in grades 7-12 upon a request of Mary Alice Sigler, associate principal at Southern Local High school.
In other business, the Board:
- APPROVED the annual tax budget totaling $1,610,003 in general fund expenditures;
- ACCEPTED the resignation of Brittany McElroy as 8th grade girls’ basketball coach for the 2012-13 school year;
- APPROVED Natalie Saling as a tutor;
- AUTHORIZED Supt. John Wilson to accept resignations and to make offers of employment directly to candidates for either teaching or nonteaching positions on behalf of the Board;
- VOTED to join the Ohio School Boards Association for the 2013 school year a cost of approximately $1,800;
- APPROVED the payment of bills totaling $973,974 and learned the cafeteria fund has a balance of $5,949;
- HEARD Supt. Wilson update the Board on school security measures which include electronic door locks on all the buildings and proposed changes contained in an Ohio House Bill 555 regarding the State Report Card.
- DISCUSSED obtaining photo key pads for faculty members and administrators for the electronic security devices but took no action;
- HELD an hour-long executive session to discuss personnel with no action;
- RECEIVED plaques from Supt. Wilson in appreciation and recognition of School Boards Appreciation Month during January;
- SET the next regular meeting for Feb. 12 at 6:30 p.m. at Southern Local High School.