FPS staff report
July 30, 2013
Carrollton Board of Education has voted to proceed with placing a tax levy on the November ballot.
At a special meeting held July 3, the five-member Board voted unanimously to proceed with placing an additional 5.3-mill school emergency levy before the voters of the Carrollton Exempted Village School District this fall.
According to Carroll County Auditor R. Leroy VanHorne, the levy will produce $1,750,000 of revenue annually, based on the school district’s estimated property tax revenue of $330,744,440. The additional tax will amount to 53 cents per $100 of valuation for five years.
Prior to voting, Carrollton Schools Supt. Dr. David Quattrochi told the Board “we are spending more than we are bringing in”, noting the school district is over spending some $1 million per year. “That can only go so far so long,” he said.
The Superintendent also told the Board they need a plan if the levy doesn’t pass. “It’s never easy to make cuts and I don’t want to sound threatening, but it is reality,” he added.
The school district’s five-year financial forecast shows a deficit of $1.5 million in fiscal year 2016.
In a separate agenda item, the Board approved a 10-cent increase in student lunches and a 25-cent hike in the student breakfasts for the 2013-14 school year.
Student lunches will increase from $2.50 to $2.60 and student breakfasts from $1 to $1.25. Adult lunches remain at $3 and adult breakfasts at $1.75.
In other business, the Board:
- ACCEPTED resignations from the following individuals: Carrie J. Barker, a teacher with 11 years of service; K. Robin Brooks, classroom aide; Jody Burgett, teacher with 11 years; Patricia Lamielle, Special Education director who is retiring with 12 years of service; Jodie Poole, 7th grade volleyball coach; Kelly Snider, a teacher with one year, and Joshua Garvin as varsity assistant football coach;
- APPROVED a reduction in force for the following positions to be abolished effective Aug. 14: Custodian p.m. position at Bell-Herron Middle School (eliminated through attrition), custodian No. 4 at Carrollton High School (eliminated through attrition) and a bus route to Buckeye Career Center;
- ACCEPTED a grievance relating to the creation of a new position as assistant district grounds/short hour custodian;
- ADOPTED a resolution for Metropolitan Education Council “Active Membership” to obtain better food and milk prices at significantly lower amounts for an annual assessment fee of $1,006.49;
- ENTERED into a service contract for shredding with Carroll Hills Industries;
- ACCEPTED the Memorandum of Understanding for dual enrollment at Carrollton High School with Stark State College;
- APPOINTED Tricia A. Green as Director of Special Services on a two-year contract at an annual salary of $77,453, and Robert Nichols as district assistant grounds/CHS No. 4 custodian on reassignment;
- APPROVED supplemental contracts for Javan L. Shields as assistant band director; Dale Soles and James Shiplett, both varsity assistant football coaches; Christopher Hawk, freshman head football coach; Aaron Kampfer, freshman assistant football coach; Adam Shipley, Middle School 7th grade football coach; Daniel Shroyer, cross country varsity assistant coach, and Michael D. Aukerman, Middle School cross country head coach;
- APPOINTED the following substitutes for the 2013-14 school year: Carrie J. Barker, Stephanie A. Glasure and Brooke N. Easterday, teachers, and Jacob K. E. Wood, classified;
- APPOINTED Lindsay R. Staten and Kerre L. Thompson as new teachers on one-year contracts;
- APPROVED an addendum to the three-year contract of Supt. David Quattrochi for payment of $5,190 for 14 unused of 20 vacation days at a daily rate of $370;
- APPROVED an addendum to the contract of Treasurer Roxanne Mazur for payment of $574 for 1.75 unused of 20 allotted vacation days with five days to be carried over at a daily rate of $328;
- APPROVED an administrative contract for the Athletic Director’s position currently held by Mark Spears which amounts to $31,674.21 base salary for the period of March 2, 2013, through the last pay period of the 2012-13 school year, plus $2,502.28 for an athletic director supplemental contract under the Carrollton Education Association contract and $772.30 for serving as Bell-Herron Student Council supplemental contract as administrator for this period, and setting the salary at $71,691 for the 2013-14 school year on a daily rate of $351.43 for 204 contract days with no paid holiday and no paid vacation;
- ESTABLISHED an athletic event supervisor position, currently held by Ron Coleprete to be used on an “as needed” basis to be paid at the rate of $14 per hour, not to exceed $4,350 per fiscal year.
- SET the next regular meeting for Aug. 13 at 6 p.m. in the Carrollton High School Fine Arts Multi-Purpose room.