60 YEARS AGO
(From 1954 FPS Files)
Editorial work on the 1955 edition of the Carrollton High School yearbook, the Carhisean, was well underway with Sam Vasbinder as editor-in-chief.
Renovation was started on a one-story building which will house a community youth center in Bergholz on 3rd St. near the fire department.
Robert Tripp, former local teacher and new registrar of Mt. Union College, introduced Dr. Carl C. Bracy, president of Mt. Union who spoke to members of the Carrollton Civic Club.
Carrollton Music Study Club held their annual Christmas program which included The Christmas Story recited by Mrs. Wendell Herron.
50 YEARS AGO
(From 1964 FPS Files)
Mrs. Kenneth L. (Gudrun) McCartney Jr. of Dellroy and Mrs. William (Christine) Patrick of 319 2nd St. NE, Carrollton, received their citizenship papers from Carroll County Common Pleas Judge Frank F. Cope.
Carrollton board of education chose Roy L. Starr as director of adult education that was being instituted for the first time in the school district.
With the roof being completed on the fifth and final unit of Atwood Lake Lodge, the project of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District was over three-fourths complete and virtually assured that the facility will open on schedule, approximately June 1, 1965.
40 YEARS AGO
(From 1975 FPS Files)
The McCook House in Carrollton was decorated for the fifth annual “Christmas at the McCook House”. Helping with the decorating were Mrs. Kenneth Scott and Mrs. Art Albaugh.
Harold Joseph Flammang, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Flammang, graduated from Ohio State University and was commissioned as Ensign with the United States Navy.
Carrollton’s Bill Reed produced 20 points during the controversial basketball game at East Canton.
In a period of only 11 days, Chester Hendrix and his son Robert, both of Carrollton, extracted a total of 95 muskrats and one raccoon from traps set.
30 YEARS AGO
(From 1984 FPS Files)
Ground was broken for the new $450,000 Timken Mercy Health Center (TMHC) on Canton Rd. in Carrollton through joint efforts of TMHC and St. John’s Villa.
Sherrodsville Council passed a measure abolishing the police department on a first reading.
Minerva Mayor Dick Mount swore in a new slate of fire department officers. They included Lt. Walt Clelland, Captain Richard McClelland, Assistant Chief Richard Everett and Chief Gary Chilson.
Lloyd Elmore was sworn in as Leesville’s new mayor who appointed Roger Reiboldt to fill his vacancy on council and Reiboldt’s wife, Mildred (Mille) to her former clerk’s position.
20 YEARS AGO
(From 1994 FPS Files)
Carrollton High School’s football coach Peter Sedello resigned as head coach and the Board of Education directed Supt. Lawrence Pontuti and athletic director Bob Bird to came back to the Board of Education with a new coach recommendation and what is needed for a successful football program.
Lisa and Joe Phillis were installed as worthy matron and worthy patron of Carroll chapter 315 Order of Eastern Star.
A new constable’s office was opened at Lake Mohawk where Charles R. Collier was chief.
Dr. Kent Thompson was installed as worshipful master of Carroll Lodge 124 Free and Accepted Masons.
Carrollton’s Lady Warriors blew by Marlington 67-44 and Canton South 80-37 to stack up their third straight win.
10 YEARS AGO
(From 2004 FPS Files)
Carrollton Village Council voted unanimously to non-renew the contract of Village Solicitor Ed Asper.
Newly-elected officers of the Carrollton Suburban Garden Club were installed by Joni Yeager, the outgoing president. They included Joy Smith, president; Elizabeth Sweeney, vice president; Linda Moore, treasurer, and Kay Shafer, secretary.
The Carrollton Warriors romped to a 70-50 conference cage win over Marlington and took an 82-60 victory over Minerva to improve to 3-2 overall and 3-0 in conference play.