To the Editor:
It was quite an honor to serve as the grand marshal for Carrollton’s 2013 Christmas parade Saturday.
I want to personally thank the Carrollton Rotary Club for selecting me for this distinction and Rick Hannon for providing transportation for the parade. Also, thanks to the many parade entrants who took valuable time to prepare their floats and entries for the annual event.
The parade is sponsored annually by the Rotary Club, whose civic-minded members work tirelessly throughout the year on planning this event to usher in the festive holiday season.
In addition to the annual parade, the Rotary Club is involved in numerous other civic activities. These include:
- An annual Multiphasic Blood program in which blood screenings are conducted at Mercy Medical Center;
- Habitat for Humanity in which the club raised $20,000 for the first house in Carrollton and pledged $10,000 in 2010 for Habitat;
- Haiti Project conducted by Dr. James Birong, the coordinator;
- Scholarships of $1,000 each for two Carrollton High School graduates;
- Reading Is Fundamental sponsor with annual contributions;
- Loaves & Fishes in which club members volunteer at the local food bank the fourth Monday of each month;
- One Way Youth Center by providing food or snacks for the youth twice a month;
- Carroll Hills pizza party dance and Special Olympics;
- Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas time;
- Participation in the Rotary Foundation’s Polio Plus project support.
These are just a few of the many civic projects sponsored by the Rotary Club and other local organizations in helping make Carrollton the excellent place in which to live and work.
Also, kudos to the Carrollton Business Women for decorating Public Square and all the downtown merchants for their unique store window decorations.