|Letters to the Editor
To the Editor:
I would like to thank Safe Kids Carroll County for partnering with the Ohio Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (Ohio AAP) to help promote Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week May 6-10 by hosting a helmet giveaway May 4.
Your community’s participation in Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week is critical in helping the Ohio AAP reach the Put a Lid on It! campaign’s goal to raise awareness of the importance of safe biking among Ohio children and to continue encouraging adults and children to wear their bike helmets.
Bike helmets save lives and prevent injuries: in fact, in 2010, the number of people injured by not wearing a bike helmet was 51,000 – enough to fill Nationwide Arena in Columbus two and one-half times! And, by simply providing a $10 helmet to a child, we can take $41 out of our health care system.
To learn more about Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week, visit the Put a Lid on It Facebook page at www.facebook .com/bikehelmetsafety or the Ohio AAP website at www.ohioaap.org.
Sarah Denny MD
Injury Prevention Committee Co-chair
Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics
Comment on this story
|Before You Post
The Free Press Standard invites you to post your thoughts on the story in the box below.
- However, before you post, please read these few basic rules.
- Be appropriate. Posts with obscene, explicit, sexist or racist language will be deleted.
- Be polite. Posts containing personal attacks, insults, or threats will be deleted.
- Be honest. Potentially libelous statements will be deleted.
- Don't 'spam'. Posts advertising or promoting commercial products will be deleted.
- Help monitor your community. Click "Report Abuse" on any entry that violates these guidelines.
- This is your forum, with your opinions.
These posts do not reflect the views of the The Free Press Standard or its employees.