|Letters to the Editor
To the Editor:
As a member of one of the first and largest “no kill” animal shelters in the United States, Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, UT, I was appalled to read a letter to the editor published Oct. 10.
The author of this letter stated, “There is no such thing as a no kill shelter.” Then went on to state, “With shelters, the term no kill is an oxymoron and used to get donations because that is what people want to hear.”
I couldn’t believe what I was reading! The old saying goes, “you can’t believe everything you hear”, well I am writing this letter to say, “You can’t believe everything you read, as well.”
There are many no kill shelters across the country and many kill for space shelters converting to no kill every year. A no kill shelter is a shelter which saves all healthy or treatable animals. No kill shelters save more than 90-percent of animals received. Ideally the figure would be 100-percent but unfortunately not all animals received in shelters are treatable due to severe illness or injuries. These are the facts!
I can only hope the people who read these incorrect statements made in regards to no kill shelters will get the facts and continue their support of these organizations.
For more information visit: bestfriends.org or any of thousands of no kill shelter sites.
Comment on this story
|Before You Post
The Free Press Standard invites you to post your thoughts on the story in the box below.
- However, before you post, please read these few basic rules.
- Be appropriate. Posts with obscene, explicit, sexist or racist language will be deleted.
- Be polite. Posts containing personal attacks, insults, or threats will be deleted.
- Be honest. Potentially libelous statements will be deleted.
- Don't 'spam'. Posts advertising or promoting commercial products will be deleted.
- Help monitor your community. Click "Report Abuse" on any entry that violates these guidelines.
- This is your forum, with your opinions.
These posts do not reflect the views of the The Free Press Standard or its employees.